Main objective of LIFE SPOT is to develop a new treatment process able to remove nitrates and micropollutants from polluted groundwater to produce drinking water of good quality that meets the Directive 98/83/EC requirements. This will be applied in rural areas (50 inhabitants or <10m3/d, very small water supplies (VSWS)) of the Mediterranean region, promoting the sustainability and resilience of rural areas, agriculture and tourism sectors.
- To demonstrate at pilot plant scale the feasibility of MA-cork technology for the treatment of water from polluted wells with nitrates (removal index 60-80%) and anthropogenic chemical contaminants (index removal 60-100 %) to livestock drinking and potable water in rural areas.
- To show the feasibility of microalgae valorization throughout composting and animal feeding.
- To increase of the availability of potable water resources in nitrate vulnerable areas and in presence of anthropogenic contaminants.
- To ensure safe potable water supply for very small populations exempt from the drinking water directive.
- To reduce the costs of production of drinking water from polluted wells with nitrates and other anthropogenic chemical pollutants.
- Environmental, social and economic assessment of SPOT technology and define the steps needed to replicate and transfer the solution into others rural areas and rural business in the EU.
- To disseminate the results of the project in other areas impacted by nitrate pollution in water poor in organic carbon compounds.